Sunday, October 26, 2008

Back in Living Color



An update on this very Cold Foggy Sunday morning..

First, the Czech Republic turned their clocks back one hour last night; daylight savings time. I did not have a clue, since I can not read Czech. So I stood in front of the Laundromat this morning in 32 F temps wondering why the owner was late. He wasn’t; I was an hour early. And around here on Sunday’s, not much open in this part of town in the early morning, even to grab a coffee… I will go back later, perhaps. ( update: I did not )

Last night, I attended a Oratory concert in a stunningly beautiful concert hall at Narodní dům ( National House ) here in Vinohrady at Naměstí Miru. It was the 100th výročí(year) concert, put on by a high level organization of Prague Music Teachers; PSPU. The father of one of the schools secretaries was in the men’s chorus, that's how I came to know about it. And she translated for me at various times, which was helpful. It was excellent, three hours long including an excellent High School Chorus, a String Ensemble playing Edvard Grieg, and a Men Chorus, singing 9 works by Smetana, Dvořák, Martinů & others.

Tomorrow, I am taking a 5 hour course to become certified to proctor Major English Certificate exams here in The Czech Republic. I was asked by the school a couple weeks ago if I would consider it. Certainly. I had to cancel all my classes to attend it. Although I will unfortunately not be paid for my time, I will be paid when I am asked to Proctor one of these 3 hour exams.

I am still waiting patiently for my visa to be ready in Berlin. Usually they have been done by day 60. The latest word, is that they are taking the full 90 days, if not more. My 90th day will be 27 November. I leave for the US on the 19 Dec for Christmas. Not a very large window remaining, if they are taking longer than 90 days.

Still teaching Business English 24 hrs per week. Hard to believe this is the start of the last week of October. And still battling a perpetual cold. Ach jo. but, my apartment is warm, and I have broken out the warm hat and gloves.. Cheers

No comments: