Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Today's Czech Independence Day Parade






Today's 90th anniversary parade got started around 1pm as promised. I got there is typical Scott fashion at 11:00am; only two hours before it started. Ach jo. It was cold, around 40 F, wet, and drizzled for the entire parade. and did I say brrrr. But at least it was not rain. The crowds started showing up around noon. Must have been 50,000 people. The parade was really nice... huge actually, enormous. ...and nice people lined the streets. several wanted to know where I was from and offered me coffee and the little children asked if they could stand in front of me ( and i understood them); so I had 4 of them in front holding onto the fence. Cute. So I am very glad I went today... an event I really didn't want to miss, but because of the temp, the rain and low overcast skies... I wondered. Quite an historic event and good memories.

...and try to fit thousands of people into the Metro station.... worse than sardines and I would say a bit claustrophobic...with no one moving. So I decided, after venturing down into the Metro, to turn around and walk to Hradčany and catch the 22 tram back to náměstí Miru. Although, further then I expected,(maps always make it look so short) the walk was nice. Caught the tram and 30 minutes later was in a cafe in the náměstí Miru area.. for hot wine and a crepe. Mnam!(Yumm! in czech)

and several shots from this afternoon....

No comments: