Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The clock in my head....


...told me it is time to end this journey. So in Mid-January, I made the decision to leave Prague. Not an easy one, but one I had to make at this time in my Life.

As I think about the close to three years I have been here.. I wanted to reflect on a few friends that made my life special here in Prague.

First in mid 2008, I met a wonderful women, M, who with her (then) 2 year old son, were nice friends and who were also the inspiration of my 'First' photo-essay book about this wonderful "Love affair with Prague". She and her son, still remain very special people to me, they will forever remain within my Heart.

My Friends Michal & Andrea, became two people who treated me to their home and hospitality on many occasions as well as several rounds of Golf in Benešov and have become good friends as well. Hezky. Dik. Very nice people!

Eva, Tomáš & Honza: together in one class at one major corporation, who with their friendship and demeanor showed me the true side of Czech generosity and friendship and who have become good friends. Thank you for all you helped me with. ,,,and Tomas, the wine trip to Morava was amazing!! I hope you got Eva's permission to leave early....:-0

...I taught many classes at this corporation and I have many friends there. Jiri, yes, always knock before coming into class; Klara, Petr is very lucky; Dana, you made it easy to make your early class. Is that bandaid(plaster) off yet? ;-) It was a great place to meet really great people! Thank you.

Renata and her family had me out to Libeznice on many occasions, but what will stand out over time, are the past three Christmas seasons and making Christmas cookies in her home, and polishing off many bottles of wine in the process. Her kids are wonderful and she has been and IS an admired friend.

and within the same company; Karin & Greg; Petr; Petra. Great people who also took me under their wing over these past three years and allowed me to 'teach' them English while mostly paying me to talk with them about Life and our Lives. Diky moc. Truly wonderful people, whom I will never, ever forget.

I had the opportunity to get to know two very special people in a software company close to Pankrac; special in that they enlightened my life with their candor, smiles through conversation, wine, friendship and with one, through his expertise in Czech folk dance. Thank you for that ticket to the 'ples'. Both are very special people. Thanks Ondrej and Petra.

and Jana, my "personal" expat banker, seems I was always stopping in the check my balances and stayed to talk about everything else. Jana thanks for your friendship and help in all my banking questions.

I had a chance to get to know Lucka and Mirek, who walked with me to the top of Bezdez and then the 12km to Doksy and also had me out to their place for dinner on a few occasions and even once to stay over in their lovely home one evening last Summer. A Nice couple and friends who I will not forget.

and a Friend of a student, who I taught for several months until she went to the UK. We talked alot, sat together through the 'Ples', listened to Jazz, saw Vaclav Klaus at the Castle, enjoyed his food & wine and did some really nice things together to pass the time while she was in Prague. Zita, rado se stalo... Thanks Ondra...

Toward the end of my stay here, I met two teachers with great English skills and smiles, whom I had never had the chance to talk to before. Turns out we had some nice conversations during the few short weeks before I left. It was a pleasure to get to know you both and both beautiful people as well: Eva a Lenka, Thanks.

During The Fall of 2010, I had the opportunity to get to know a very nice and Special person. Although Instantly gone when the new year arrived, and no longer in my Life, she is someone who made Life nice while she was in it and someone a soul can not soon forget; whether it be great wine, Dresden, Zvonice, the National Theatre or Cafe du Paris...times not soon forgotten. Thanks My Friend.

I met my Friends Alex and Ada in 'My Cafe', a little over a year ago. He is from Switzerland and she is Czech. They have shared space and time for 41 years, and their love is still alive as you can see in their eyes and their actions. Special People who became very special friends, as we enjoyed almost every evening at 'My Cafe' enjoying conversation and wine and a few nights of Jazz and Jazz at the Castle as well. So very Comfortable. You both will be truly missed. Now, what will do in the evenings?

and Many other friends as well...at the School where I was employed

Finally and bz no means, certainly not Least, My Many Many Friends at 'My Cafe'; Kavovarna. A very Special Place; so many Very Special Staff: Anna, Klara, Petra, Marketa, Tereza, Petra, Gabina, Božena, Iveta, Miša, Šarka, Bára, Jana & Jana ... They became my Friends and always had a smile for me when I came in (and many times a piece of chocolate! or chocolate dort!). They all made me feel comfortable to be there every day and made a part of Prague feel like a Home away from Home. And the owner, befriended me as well, and quite often shared a bottle of his best wine with me while we talked about photography, the "Italian guy" and the revolution. Thanks Ivan. You have A truly Special Cafe. A very very special place indeed. I feel it IS the Very Best in Prague.

So the time is close at hand, leaving this amazing City and Country. If you have not been here, you DO NOT have a clue as why it has captivated me for these almost three years. This place will forever live within me and all the people that have touched me, will always live in my soul. Thank you to all of you; my friends, students and acquaintances.

No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth. ~Robert Southey

No comments: