Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Coincidences


I was walking through Vinohrady early in August, before I began living here. I was in the area of Korunní and Slezká ulices, close to vinohradská vodarny tram stop, almost across from this old clock tower of the water department. I happened to look down as I walked by a paper recycling bin and noticed a stack of books…. New ones, not yet damaged by the elements,so very recently discarded. I recognized one of the authors, James Redfield, so I scooped up the book. It was The Celestine Prophesy (in Czech of course). I had read this book many years ago.

One theme of this book, if you believe the author, is that there really are no coincidences. Events happen for a purpose, or for a reason, if you will, and one should act on this seeming coincidence, or act on what one might perhaps call, chance. Per the author, by acting on it this coincidence, we can enhance a flow of mysterious coincidences in our lives as we are guided toward our destinies. ??? Interesting thoughts. Could it be what some call providence, as well?

And perhaps similar to what Goethe said? ...."the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way."

I believe it relates to any decision, large or small; personal or interpersonal. I like what Goethe said, as well as some of Redfield’s vision. I hold onto what Goethe said. Emphatically. + 4 months today

No comments: