Saturday, September 13, 2008

Trója



My Goal today was to visit Trója, in northern Prague. So at 9:00am this morning I caught bus č 112 at metro station Nádraží Holešovice arriving about 15 minutes later at the Trója Zamek ( chateau )... a beautiful sunny morning (& the whole day ) but a rather cold breezy morning; a typical Fall day. My first stop was the Trója Chateau, one of the most important examples of Baroque architecture in the Czech Republic.

I first walked the grounds of the Zamek, then made my way up to the vineyards. The grounds had not yet opened but I got through an unlocked gate and had the place to myself for a bit. Gorgeous grounds and art work. A Count, Václav Vojtěch of Šternberk started building of the early Baroque Troja Château in 1679.

The chateau has changed many owners over time. One of them was even Maria Theresa of Austria. Alfred, Prince of Windischgratz(not sure who he is) renewed the vineyeads in Troja (and don't know when). The last private owner was Jan Svoboda who gave the chateau, a bit decayed at that time from years of neglect, to the state in 1989.

from the Chateau, I climbed via various stairs and paths up to the vineyards on the hill... finding the weekend wine harvest festival. Stayed there well into the afternoon, leaving around 14:30....
a really nice part of Prague I had no idea even existed.

No comments: