Sunday, November 2, 2008

1/2 November - Dušičky


The Czech Republic observes All Soul's Day, or Dušičky, on the First or Second Day of November( conflicting data ). It is a solemn day of remembrance and reflection, when on this day, entire Czech families visit the graves of relatives. They arrive to clean up the burial area and to decorate their loved-ones tombstones with flowers and to light and leave candles as a tribute to their deceased family members.

I ventured into the main Cemetery here in Prague, Olšanske Hřbitovy, about 7 blocks from my apartment and walked around for an hour or so Saturday evening, as the sun was setting. Striking. I thought I might pay my respects to a friend's grandparents who are buried there(or thought at the time, they were buried there). Of course, there was no way I could have found the correct area nor the location; it is a huge place. Once there, I began to feel, that this occasion of All Soul's Day is really meant to be a very private, solemn time and only for families. I then felt uncomfortable being there, since I was not a family member of anyone there, and I began to think it may not even have been appropriate to pay respects to a friend's family members; as I am not familiar with much of Czech Culture.

This Cemetery was literally filled with families. I left with a sense of respect for all those who were there paying their respects to their deceased family members. Even given the awkwardness I felt, I am glad I got a chance to see and experience Dušičky here in Prague yesterday; it is something I would have never imagined. A Cemetery filled with people all at the same time for the same purpose, with THIS day set aside for this. ...With much respect.

No comments: