Saturday, November 29, 2008

This Evening... Lighting of the Christmas Tree



The annual ceremony to light the annual Christmas Tree in Old Town Square, was held this evening at 6:00pm kicking off the start of the Annual Christmas Markets as well as the Holiday Season here in Prague. I waited an hour in the frigid cold. Brrrr. Everyone was bundled up. The Square was absolutely packed; you could hardly move. It was really a stunning experience... and it is beautiful; white lights and white strobes.

The tree is a 90 year old spruce, 22 metres tall, arrived in Prague last Wednesday from one of the national forests to become the Christmas pride of the Old Town Square.

After it was over, I found a really nice, small Jazz pub not far from the square and warmed up with a hot svařák (mulled red wine) and hot apple-nut strudel. I know...I have it rough. http://www.expats.cz/prague/article/czech-cooking/svarak-mulled-wine/

I took the above video... My first posting... it is about one minute long. Apologies in advance for the shakiness....

No comments: