Sunday, November 16, 2008

6 Months in Prague


Six months ago today I arrived in Prague and started a new path in my life, certainly somewhat into the unknown, but yet, I knew Prague, or thought I did, from four previous visits, and knew I wanted to be here and knew this new direction would change my life. From many respects it has; and in many there is little change, but much hope.

Differences: Each day however, is a little different than the day before and that is what makes it exciting. When I stop to really think about where I am and what I am doing, it knocks me off my feet. I walk the streets of this Capital City every day and still see something new each day and have to pinch myself to make sure this is not a sleeping dream.

Differences abound here. Enjoying them all. They are part of every facet of my life now; and many are very different from things in Rochester. The coffee is different - more intense w/smaller sized cups; food portions are more modest, not only restaurants!, but in the grocery store packaging; the pastries - very rich/creamy with a multitude of kinds and types; chocolate – mostly dark; Beer – stronger in flavor, and in alcohol and richer in color; The shopping malls – ultra modern with more petite stores; decorations - simple; automobiles and trucks – diminutive and more utilitarian; birds.. their crows; their wings are 50% white! ;Shops line every street – very tiny and space is at a premium and you have to wonder how they can possibly makes ends meet, and sidewalks - 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" square stones in patterns, no concrete, and finally; parks - they are everywhere, richly populating this city.

But the weather, really almost identical to Rochester’s in temperatures in each of the months I have lived here. Some extremes certainly. I have temperature "gadgets" on my Laptop for both Rochester and Prague, and they are most always no more than 5F to 7F degrees different, and many times identical. Oh yeah, another difference: Centigrade here vs Fahrenheit in New York; am getting use to it.

Well, many differences, and many that might be hard for me to put into words. And so many really great experiences to date. and spending really good quality time with good friends. The minutes fill the hours quite readily and quickly: really quite excellent! So at 6 months … More to come. + 185

No comments: