Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Visa Update..




...as I mentioned on Friday, I went to Berlin Friday morning to obtain my completed visa. I arrived by train in the late morning, and my visa was in my hand by 11:45. Wonderful! I can't tell you how great that felt. The next step in the process, is to go to the Foreign Police(FP) with my Passport, with Visa affixed and they must give the final approval, register and stamp it. It will then be Final and I will be Legal.

I have hired a company to go to the FP in my stead. The process all of my American colleagues have had to go through, is to arrive at the FP at Midnight of the day they wish to get their visa registered, stand in a line through the entire night, with no sitting allowed, to wait to receive a number(1 > 150) at 8am when the FP open; then stand in another line for up to 8 more hours, depending on ones' number, to see someone for 15 minutes to get their Visa registered. From what I hear, even in the summer, not a pleasant experience.

I recognized I would not be in a position to stand in line all through a November night in 30 degree temps, so I have hired a company to do this part of the process for me. Although not inexpensive!, it is something I felt I must do for many reasons.

I met with that company yesterday morning, and they told me, baring any complications, I should have my Passport back with my Visa registered on Thursday.

So I wait; keeping my fingers crossed that things will go fine. I trust they will.
Stay tuned !

No comments: