Friday, October 30, 2009

End of October update

The weather is typical fall here now as October comes to an end; some rain, a lot of gray skies, with some sunshine once in awhile. Not many colors in the trees this year. Surprising. No reds or Oranges. None. Mostly browns and yellows. Interesting. The leaves are starting to fall en-mass however. Have been on daylight savings time here since last weekend.

A nice unsolicited comment the other day: The head of the legal department at one of the firms where I teach, who is one of my students as well, asked me how long I had been here in Prague. I mentioned that I came May 08, she remarked: “Wow, your pronunciation of Czech is really excellent” So… what a nice thing to hear. Thanks Nina; > moje ucítelka v Pittsforde.

There is a first ever expats exhibition this weekend and I plan on attending. A day filled with events for expats and their families. It is suppose to be a big deal, supported by big firms here and would be nice to meet some other expats.

Am invited to the new home of one my students as well this weekend. It was just completed two months ago. So will go north to a small town to enjoy a dinner of Home made Gulaš (Goulash), wine and good conversation with a friend and her family. I am intrigued as well to see the inside of their new house/home.

Halloween is this weekend and then November. It is refreshing to not see any Christmas decorations yet. I am sure the malls back in the states are already decorated. It is like it is savored here, enjoyed, not rushed into, even though in a country that is mostly atheist.

Am finally settling in. ..and am finally feeling comfortable. Still enjoying the cafes, but not as often, and that makes them more special. Cheers

No comments: