Sunday, October 11, 2009

Stop...and savor Life


True Story. My family and I were moving to Syracuse many many years ago as I was taking a new Position. I was renting a room at an elderly woman's home, until my family moved to join me. The woman was blind but so remarkable in how she lived and ambulated through life. She made fresh pasta every week and even road a bicycle and took daily walks in her neighborhood. Yes, she was very blind. One day she exclaimed as I returned to her home after work: "Wow, did you see how beautiful the flowers were today along the sidewalk?" I said I hadn't noticed. She said: "that is the trouble with you people that can see...you never see the beauty around you."

So today,take notice of something special that you see on your lunch hour. or, Remember someone's great perfume as they passed you by or the fragrance of a flower. Stop in wonder at the baby who is playing in their carriage or the little person just learning to walk. They are in awe of their surroundings. Try to think of what they are thinking. Perhaps have a glass of wine and actually savor it's bouquet and its taste...For the first time!. ...or Stop off on the way home tonight to get a double-dip ice cream cone! For as we get older, it is not the things we did that we often regret, but the things we didn't do. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Photo: a bunch of amazingly bright flowers on almost every street corner in Prague.

No comments: