Monday, February 15, 2010

Church of St. Michael on Petřín





Another Beautiful Day yesterday (Sunday), so went for a hike up Petřín Hill. A short walk from my neighborhood, lead me to Kinského Garden, which houses it's own Chateau (zamek)and elaborate gardens, then from there, up into the very steep pathways of Petřín Hill.

One of the most interesting things I happened upon yesterday was the Church of St. Michael. It is a wooden church in Russian Orthodox style. I had no idea it was there. The sun was shining brightly as I approached it from a lower path. There was a service going on inside as I walked through the snow as I could see Candles burning on the alter as I looked through the yellowed windows, while the sounds of hymns being sung came out into the snow.

The church was built in the second half of the 17th century in the village of Velké Loučky near Zakarpatska in the Ukraine(you know where that is, right?). It was moved here around the turn of the last century. The whole building is made of wood, with huge timbers, and measures about 14m long & 8m wide. It has three steeples, with the tallest steeple being over 17m tall. The other smaller towers are situated above the aisle and above the choir. It ranks amongst the most beautiful peasant buildings of this region.

I had no idea this church was in these hills, as it is completely hidden during the summer months due it location among the forested paths of Petřín. But today in the snow, it was like something out of a fairy tale.

No comments: