Sunday, February 28, 2010

..Two years ago....


So today… many thoughts and memories.

It was two years ago today(actually on the 29th..tomorrow?) that I ended my career... in a position I loved, working with great colleagues who made the long hours doable, and working in a place I held(and still hold) in much respect, all while working for a vision and mission which I believed in.

I will just say, that over the 35 years of my working life, I consistently put in more than 100%, and always did what I was hired to do, and more, and to wit, I had 35 years of great annual reviews. I never missed a beat. Pretty good record I'd say. I was not about to let year 36 mar that record.

I learned much in the last 5 months of my career; a lot about leadership, people, how to manage and how not to manage people, and I learned all that even without 3 initials at the end of my name.

To this day I am proud of what I did, my accomplishments, especially in those last 4.5 years and to have been able to work with such great peers, people that became friends, and to work with them in order to build together, smile, laugh, and still get the job done. A remarkable group, a remarkable period.

…and even after that last condescending meeting of my career I was able to maintain the level of professionalism that speaks to who I am. Even now, I will never understand the way I was treated in those last few months...

... a within an hour of that, at the end of the day, I walked away with my head held high. Then onto and into to this personal life experience several months later.

Yoda, that great philosopher of Lucas-ian wisdom, said:
Do or Do not. There is no Try.

Do. I did.

No comments: