Monday, February 8, 2010

Mid Winter Update

Valentines Day is fast approaching. Hard to believe, but it means Spring is around the corner, even though that is hard to believe as well.

It has been a cold snowy winter here in Prague, one of the coldest in years and the snowiest here and in the rest of the country in the past 20 years. I saw evidence of this on the train ride back to Prague from Bratislava. The country is snowed under in most places south of Prague, for Prague historically gets the least amount of snow, so you can imagine. Really wintry visions.

And coming back on the train, just outside of Brno, the 2nd largest city located in the southern part of the country, I got to experience the "mountains", where the train for a full hour plus, just went round this mountain and that one, round one curve and the next, as well as through many tunnels(counted 15) as we ventured north to Paradubice. (Bill, you would have loved it!). It was interesting to see all the small towns tucked away between these mountains and sandwiched into their forests, and laying along side the rivers we passed, all of which were covered with snow with small thin ribbons of smoke drifting up vertically from equally small chimneys; something right out of a Christmas story.

However, it is nice to see Prague under Snow this year(as compared to hardly any last winter) and to be able to capture the snow within this city in many photos.

Teaching goes well, although as I approach two years away from a "real" job, I think about my future alot. It is THE real unknown, in terms of Finances, location, etc. And also interesting to go from a 12 room house(now sold) to a closet sized studio with the room number: "0"

But, Prague is magnetic to me. Still is. And I am still in Awe of the conversations my students share with me, how we talk, what I continue to learn about their lives and culture, the friends I have made here and that my school tells me, "I am in demand", as my students wish me back when their contracts are up. I am honored by their wishes. Truly.

Currently, though, this country is still in the "crisis" as it is called over here. Many language schools are now in fierce competition with each other and offer "deals" just to pull students away from their existing Language school/teachers. I have just lost 2 such students/hours. I currently am down 7 teaching hours per week this month, but 5 of those per week will be restored on 1 March. Was glad to hear that.

I now have 5 Steady private students and two "once in-awhile" privates. I am lucky and they are equally fantastic.

Though many thoughts flood my mind, and occasionally get stuck in mind-webs, I am no different now than in the past. Me. but perhaps with a less wordy blog, for many reasons. ;-)

So, reporting From Prague, on this crystal cold winters eve, signing off until the next update. Cheers - S

No comments: