Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Elegance of the Hedgehog


I just finished this book: The Elegance of the Hedgehog (L'élégance du hérisson). When I first started reading it, I thought it seemed a bit slow, but the more I read, the more I became interested in the two main characters, the author’s first person style of philosophical writing, as well as “what she had to say” interwoven into this fictional work.

It is a novel by French novelist and professor of philosophy Muriel Barbery. The book follows events in the life of a concierge whose deliberately concealed intelligence is uncovered by a intellectually precocious adolescent girl, who is the daughter of an upper-class family living in the upscale Parisian apartment building where she works (and lives).

The story is full of allusions to literary works, music, films, and paintings and incorporates themes relating to philosophy, personal conflict and the hypocrisy of French class consciousness. The events and ideas of the novel are presented through the thoughts and reactions, interweaved throughout the novel, of two narrators, Renée, the 54 yr old concierge, and Paloma, the 12 year old girl.

It was first released in August 2006 and the novel became a success in France the following year, selling over a million copies. Now after having finished it, I am very pleased to say, I really liked it and the ending blew me away (as they say in literary circles).

And surprisingly it is the 7th novel I have finished since last Fall. I mean what are cafes for? and Life without Television, how great it that!

No comments: