Saturday, May 8, 2010

Prague Uprising - Part Two




..or Victory Day as it is called here.


Yesterday in Prague 7, there was a full scale commemorative battle with actors in full battle gear(and fake blood), tents, weaponry, as well as about 10 original WW II German Military vehicles(which until yesterday I had never seen), including a tank and two half-tracks, a motorcycle with tank tracks and those German Volkswagen type "jeeps". All very realistic.

Something I did not want to miss, so after my last class, I went to see it and as I approached the school(Pražačká) where it was being re-enacted, I could hear machine gun fire and bombs going off... Loud!

The Prague uprising that began on May 5th, ended on the 8th here in the Czech Republic as the war officially ended. The Russians did have to "mop-up" remaining German resistance here but the next few days it is said.

No comments: