Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekend Gallery #2 - National Gallery of Prague


2) The National Gallery in Prague: Collection of Modern and Contemporary Art @ the Veletržní Palác.

A Large imposing building with 6 Huge floors, with each floor having its own agenda so-to-speak. Mostly collections of very Modern art, that one might not think was art. For instance, I passed one "Art" work, which was no more than a piano caked in mud, a tool box, chains and battery powered drill, a few bricks and a few other pieces of construction paraphernalia, looking like it was left there while a worker went to lunch. Nope. Art. But, I am not an artist.. but guess I could be.
Where are my tools...

...but I digress.

My favorite floor held the 19th and 20th Century French Artist collection. 18 Picasso's !!, mostly during his Cubist period, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec's Moulin Rogue, a couple Monet's and Van Gogh's "Green Corn", plus several others. Really excellent. The corn was particularly good.

Two additional floors that I liked highlighted many Czech artists, with my Favorites being Alfonse Mucha, a famous Art Nouveau painter, and Josef Čapek, Franišek Kupka and Emil Filla, whose Cubist period paintings looked a lot like Picasso's.

No comments: