Saturday, July 17, 2010

Blueberries & Bears in Beroun





Traveled south by train to Beroun with a friend today to see the "Three Beroun Bears"; Matěj, Jakub, Vojta

They are actually three bear brothers who were born on January 13 2000 in the Český Krumlov Castle "bear moat". After the young bears were solemnly baptized(yes, that is what the article said) at chateau Kozel they were moved to Beroun. They are 10 years old now and huge. Their forested enclosure is up the main hill in Beroun, in a large forested town park.

It is finally blueberry season here in the Czech Republic as it is back home. There were many vendors in the town square selling blueberries this morning, and the Strudelarna cafe had blueberry strudel, which was great. These berries were the first I have seen this season, and are much smaller than I have picked back near Lake Ontario, but flavorful.

If I had an oven in my flat, I would have bought some to make a big blueberry pie. But, alas...no oven.

No comments: