Friday, May 9, 2008

So throw off the bowlines....

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain

It is true that over the past 4 years, I have grown very fond of the country I am about to live in for awhile. I have found it to be beautiful, mysterious, rich with culture, history and castles, and calming. I have tried to be a traveler on my past 4 visits and not a tourist per se. Certainly I have made sure I have seen things that all tourists have seen, but yet I was not looking at these things through the eyes of a tourist. I was in awe of what I was experiencing and how I was actually feeling. I felt comfortable. I wanted something more out of this country. But I could not and perhaps still can not define what it is that I really want.

My point: When I was wrestling with my decision to leave a comfortable income, home and a position I enjoyed, to embark upon fulfilling a deep desire to experience the Czech Republic at all levels by living and working there, one thought kept popping into my consciousness, not unlike Mark Twains comment above. If I didn't do this now, as this window of opportunity opened, would I say in 5 years time.... I wonder what it would have been like if I had ....... With that, I knew my direction immediately. 7 days to go !!



No comments: