Saturday, August 16, 2008

3 Months today....

I have been here in Prague for exactly three months today. Here are some additional reflections on my time here:

1) I have NOT seen ONE fire truck going off to a fire. Not one. It would seem they don’t have fires here. ?? ze ??

2) However, the police drive as fast as they can go, on crowded, wet cobblestone streets, in tiny tiny tiny white Skodas, usually packed with 4 big burly police officers, and blaring their loud sirens whenever they can and as often as they can.

3) ...and the Fluorescent Yellow Ambulances... they are always seen driving through Prague at breakneck speeds, yielding greater danger to their occupants, in reality, then the reason the patient was picked up in the first place.

4) Czechs when departing from any space in which another person is present always say na shledanou! (goodbye) as they depart even if they do not know you. I see this in stores as someone leaves, or on elevators as they depart, or as someone leaves a room; they don’t have a clue who you are, but will always say goodbye. I really like this.

5) Chivalry is not dead. I can not tell you how many times when I have been on a Metro, bus or tram, if an older person steps on board, a younger person will automatically give up his chair to the older person needing a seat. I have seen this countless times, and even noticed with awe, as a metal studded, spiked, multi-colored haired, seemingly anti-social Goth teenager, willingly and instantly gave his seat on the Metro to an elderly lady.

6) The Czech beer is still amazing; any label, any brewer. I am not sure I can ever drink American beer again.

7) ...and the cafe's. Still in love them. There is just something about sitting along a street, or an alleyway, enjoying a latte or a glass of wine, as Prague passes you by.

Na shledanou on this dark, cold, blustery, and rainy Saturday morning. Mej se hezky. + 92


No comments: