Thursday, August 7, 2008

Čtvrtek rano...

Each Day is an opportunity to make a new happy ending. - unknown

I have received my appointment date and time for applying for my long term Czech visa. Three weeks from today!! I travel to Berlin on the night of the 27th, for a 10am meeting on Thursday, 28 August; two days after my daughter leaves Prague from her visit. She returns home on the 26th. Excellent timing.

Colleagues here are telling me to take the “Student Agency” night bus to Berlin, which leaves at midnight and gets into Berlin at 5am. This is the most inexpensive solution. So that is what I will get tickets for. I will stay in Berlin for that weekend, since… hey, Berlin! I have never been there before.

I have a few items to complete related to my visa, not least of which is the application itself, which is a bit confusing, since it is in Czech. I have been told my new landlord will complete the accommodation paperwork related to my visa next week, and my Realtor is helping coordinate that.

There continues to be confusion on all sides related to this visa especially since my 90 “tourist” visa will have expired ( on the 13th). So, essentially I will be illegal as I apply for the Czech visa. But everyone usually is. There is not enough time upon arriving here, to take and complete a Tefl course, find and secure a job, apply for and receive a work permit, and then obtain an application meeting date at a Czech embassy in Europe (not the Czech Republic), all within a 90 day tourist visa. Everything I have read, says things should be fine… but still, yesterday my School advised me to fly to London and get my passport stamped just in case. (Which under the Schengen rules of Dec 07, is no longer valid). It is intriguing how so many people could know so little about something so important, on both sides, the government here, their embassy’s abroad and the Language schools. No one really knows. Amazing. Ach freakin’ jo. +83

No comments: