Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Business Anglicky


I had a class yesterday that was enlightening. There are two kinds of English teaching here; English and Business English. My 2nd 90 minute class yesterday was with one gentlemen in a corporation here in Prague who holds a significant position. I had developed an advanced lesson; a case study in the automotive business. Since he had other teachers, I asked him what he was looking for in terms of what he wanted to learn and experience from me. He said: I want to be able to talk to someone who knows business and not just English.

We talked non-stop about the case study, but yet hardly touching upon the lesson I had actually prepared. He did most of the talking. I stopped him half way through, and pointed out we had not done much of the material I had prepared. He responded: what we are doing is great, exactly what I wanted, to talk business and practice not only my English speaking but also to talk with someone from the business side of life, speaking English, who can carry on a business related conversation.

.... that felt good. ... I enjoyed that class as well. +67

No comments: