Thursday, July 17, 2008

Good sized Glitch

I have had a small window of time between the end of the course, securing a position, applying for and getting the work permit, then applying for the visa. I had two weeks + / - to secure a position after my course ended. That worked out well. It takes 20 working days ( One month ) here to get the working permit, which is needed in order to go to a Czech Embassy and apply for the visa. This window is tight between the time to get into another country ( and return ) and the end of my 90 day Passport visa. Any failure in this process, which would delay the work permit, would increase the time I would be technically illegal while attemping to apply for my visa. Any increase in the length of time in securing my D visa, jeopardizes my position, as they need me to be able to work legally on 1 Sept.

As often happens here, Government Offices change the rules with no notice. I had been told by the School that all I needed was my Tefl certificate and the other routine paperwork, plus a doctors certificate, which I got on Tuesday, delayed from last Friday. A mortal delay perhaps. The permit application was being carried over to the work permit office yesterday morning. However, the rules changed Yesterday morning.

One must NOW have the Tefl cert. PLUS their original or certified copy of their University Diploma proving graduation from a 4 yr school. I don’t have a diploma here, nor at home, having lost it years ago. I called my College yesterday to obtain a replacement Diploma. They tried to find a blank copy to quickly send out but to no avail. One must be printed up. Their printer said it would take 6 to 8 wks for one to be printed.

After talking at length ( 10 phone calls to the US ) and pleading my case, the college was able to get the printer to agree to expedite a new diploma and have it to me in a week to 10 days. With that, than add another month for the working permit, this delay could be more than a major glitch. The phrase Dream buster springs to mind.

This is stunning development. Unexpected. Saddening. Incredible.

And I am about to sign a 12 month apartment lease,… should I? ...signing a lease, then canceling, one would forfeit their deposit. ....but, Yes, I will sign it. I am staying.

Shit happens. No worries... +62

No comments: